Why 108 beads?
The number 108 has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism, Buddhism and yogic tradition. There are many reasons behind the 108 mythology in mala beads. That’s why we like to believe the significance of 108 beads on your mala necklace is open to interpretation.
- Through the lens of astronomy, the diameter of the sun is approximately 108 times that of Earth.
- In the field of Ayurveda, there are 108 sacred points, or marmas, in the body, identifying intersections of matter and consciousness. When manipulated, these points can awaken and align the vital energy.
- In the Vedic tradition, 108 denotes the wholeness of the universe: one represents the solar masculine, zero represents the lunar feminine and eight represents the infinite nature of all things.
- There is also a relation with the Chakras, the 7 energy points of our body. There are believed to be 108 energy lines connecting to the heart and a single path to self-realization.
- The Sanskrit alphabet consists of 54 letters, each letter has a male and a female version, or a total of 108 letters.
- Through the lens of astrology, there are also 12 zodiac houses and 9 planets. When 12 is multiplied by 9, the answer is 108.